For couple of years I've been struggling with bloat. I was skinny fat and at that time, I didn't even know it's called "bloating", I thought it was just fat (I know, I was 18 and I was stupid). I always felt full, had digestion irregularities and was feeling overall heavy. I started working out, tried different things - swimming, dancing, running, gym. Time passed, but I wasn't seeing major results. Bloat was still there and my trainer at that time told me that's just how my body is built (he wasn't 18, but... you got my point). I refused to believe him: so many transformation photos on internet proved him wrong. I knew that there had to be a way to achieving a flat stomach and finally revealing those abs I'd been working really hard to get, so I started my ongoing journey of online research. The first thing I had to understand was how I felt. Bloat was there for a reason and I had to figure out why. My goal of having abs took me to the direction of healthy lifestyle, feeling good and listening to your body whenever it gives you signs. Therefore, I delved into the world of diets and detox programs and tried almost everything to find out the ones that worked best. Now I'm ready to share some tips with you below:
- Ginger/Lemon Water: One simple detox way that works for 100% is ginger water. Add organic peeled ginger root to water and refrigerate overnight. Enjoy it in the morning on empty stomach and feel better right away. If you have GERD or acid reflux, try not to overdo it. You can also add some fresh lemon to hot water in the morning and drink it as tea replacement.
- Combine Foods Correctly: Number one rule for me is to never mix food that don't go together. I know it's hard, especially in evenings, when you're craving sweet right after dinner, but this is the most important part in your diet you have to be careful in. If you have meat, wait 2-3 hours to have fruits/deserts, otherwise you're just "poisoning" your healthy proteins and they're not doing their job (repairing muscle tissues, building lean muscles, etc). Try to eat veggies with every meal, but most specifically greens with meat. They help to digest meat better. Always eat fruits or drink fruit juices/water 20-30 minutes before your meal. This way they will not be heavy on your stomach after meals and won't disturb your digestion. If you just have to drink water, try warm/hot water instead of cold: it helps to better digest your meal.
- Sleep: Sleep is crucial for your health overall. It's as important as eating healthy, working out and not stressing out. Always plan your day to have at least 7 hour of sleep and do some stretching before you go to bed or when you're in bed (bring your knees into your stomach and hug them to you, and try twisting your legs from side to side). This way you will prepare your body to a good night's sleep and help your digestion. Sometimes bloating can be caused by constipation or bacterial overgrowth in the gut, so gently massaging your stomach in bed may actually help move things along overnight.
- Avoid eating late: Eat 3-4 hours before going to bed. If you feel hungry and just have to snack, try greek yogurt with berries or kefir. If you can't have dairy, snack on some berries/raw veggies instead. Drink camomile tea before bed which is a mild tranquilizer and sleep-inducer.
- Stay hydrated: Never forget to drink your 8 glasses of water. Many times we start having headaches or we have low energy, feel tired or bloated. Most of the time we don't realize that the solution is very simple - to drink water.
Follow these rules and beat that bloat away!